Saturday, September 6, 2014

Starts With Goodbye


            So today at the desk I was actually working with David and Rebecca again, along with Jen. Cristina had today off; I only saw her for a little while at lunch in the EDR. It was another fairly slow, simple day at the desk. We’re actually sold out again tonight, so I’m glad that I’m not working the later shift today. At dinner I saw Felix, who’s working right now. He said it’s been a really busy evening. Tomorrow we have over 200 check-outs, so my last day at the desk will be a busy one. It won’t be hard though; the earlier shift never really is. I think I’m working with Cristina, Maggie and Emily.
            We had some kind of difficult guests come to the desk today. Overall it wasn’t too bad, just a little annoying at times. The most ridiculous one came up not long after I’d come back from lunch. It was a man who came up to Jen, who was sitting at the manager’s desk. He told her that he wasn’t actually a guest staying here; he lived in Jackson. Today was his wife’s birthday, so he’d made a reservation for lunch in our dining room. He hadn’t been aware, though, that there was some construction on the road between town and the lodge, and due to the delay, they’d missed their reservation. After explaining that, he went on to tell Jen how mad he was that no one had told him about the construction when he’d made the reservation, and demanded some compensation because of that. As Jen tried to tell him that it’s not up to us to tell him about the construction and we couldn’t give him anything, David and I just stared at each other and shook our heads. We both obviously couldn’t believe what a ridiculous request that was, and how rude that man was being. Soon, his wife came storming in, acting even worse than he was. After practically yelling at Jen for a few minutes there in the lobby, they went up to the dining room to talk to the manager up there. Dan, who was the manager on at the time, later came down to tell us that he’d also refused to give them anything, and they’d left, both absolutely livid. We all agreed that if they’d been nicer about it, we might’ve tried to help them out. But with the way they were acting, we all just wanted them to leave.
            After getting off work I came home to find Nate and Jesse hanging out on the back porch. I talked with them out there for a while before coming in and packing up some more. I’ve got pretty much everything packed away. Tomorrow I’ll have to turn in my uniform and work keys, and give my room one last sweep to make sure that I can get my deposit back. Monday morning I just need to take my linens off the bed and drop them off at the employee village office before heading out of here with Jesse.
            I might go to the Whistle Pig for just a little while tonight, since I have to be up early again tomorrow. I’ll also go tomorrow evening one last time to hang out with everyone before saying goodbye to this place.

“I guess it's gonna have to hurt,
I guess I'm gonna have to cry,
And let go of some things I've loved
To get to the other side.
I guess it's gonna break me down,
Like falling when you try to fly.
It's sad, but sometimes moving on with the rest of your life,
Starts with goodbye.”
Carrie Underwood, Starts With Goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment