Thursday, June 12, 2014

Peaceful Easy Feeling


            It’s been a pretty simple, relaxing day off. I’m currently sitting out on my back porch listening to music and hanging out with Tanner, Cristina and Jesse. Cristina goes into work pretty soon, and Tanner and Jesse both have today off as well. It’s pretty cloudy today, about seventy degrees, with a cool breeze blowing. There are plenty of beautiful places around this park, but, as I’ve said before, this back porch is my absolute favorite spot that I’ve found. I think it’s because not only is it a very peaceful, pretty spot, but it’s the spot where I’ve had the most enjoyable, fun experiences with the amazing friends I’ve made here in this park. From listening to music with Cristina, to lying on the picnic table stargazing with Tanner, to eating grilled sausages with Nate, Jesse and Brian, this exact spot has been an amazing place to enjoy the company of friends.
            I woke up this morning with my arms feeling a little bit sore; I guess because of all the paddling of the kayak that I did yesterday. It amazes me that here in this park, you can get a good amount of exercise, but being in such a beautiful, scenic, wonderful area, you hardly realize that you’re exerting yourself. Thankfully I’ve gotten totally used to the elevation here, so I’m no longer getting short of breath on hikes or anything.
            I work the afternoon shift with Nate tomorrow, then work the morning shift on Saturday and Sunday. We’ve been really busy the last few days, and probably will be throughout the weekend since the lodge is at almost one hundred percent capacity right now. We’ve been having several big tour groups coming in, and the housekeeping staff has been really busy getting and keeping the rooms clean for new check-ins. I’ve heard that tomorrow the morning will probably be busier than the afternoon since we have more people checking out than checking in, so I’m glad that Nate and I are working the later shift. Sometimes it’s more stressful if the rooms aren’t ready for check-in by four, but if housekeeping’s on top of things it shouldn’t be a bad shift.
            I mentioned this on Facebook yesterday, but for those of you that only follow me here I’ll say it again. None of the rooms here in Jackson Lake Lodge have televisions in them. Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t really like being completely disconnected from the world either, but there’s actually a pretty good wifi connection throughout this property. If there wasn’t I wouldn’t be able to type out and post all of my blog updates from my laptop, which is what I do. That’s more than a lot of national parks can say; Yellowstone has no wifi and very limited cell phone service all throughout it. Still, I fairly regularly hear guests complain that there aren’t TV’s in the room. In a place this amazing that has so much to offer, I’d never use a TV even if we did have one. When someone complains about there being no TV, I want to say, if you wanted a vacation that consisted of sitting in front of a screen watching your favorite shows, you should’ve saved yourself the time and money and just stayed at home. Okay, rant over.
            It’s been getting darker and windier out here just in the time I’ve been writing this; I think we might get some rain this evening, which would be really cool. Depending on how I feel I might go to the Whistle Pig with Tanner and Jesse after dinner, or maybe just continue to stick around here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment