Monday, May 12, 2014

A Little Piece of Heaven






            Thankfully by the time we woke up this morning, it had stopped snowing and the highways were being cleared. By 8:30, we were back on the road! The first hour or so was a bit scary since there was still snow on the road, but after we passed that, the rest of the way was pretty easy. The scenery around us got more impressive the closer we came to the park. Almost as soon as we crossed into Wyoming I saw several bison standing beside the road. The first animal that I got excited about seeing was a pronghorn, standing in a field next to the highway. The pronghorn is the fastest animal in the western hemisphere, so, having never seen one before, I was really excited. We saw several more groups of them along the way.
            At about 5:00, we officially entered Grand Teton National Park for the first time! The view of the Tetons from the road we were on was absolutely amazing; I think my mouth was literally hanging open in awe. We pulled over for a while to get out and take some pictures. We also saw some more grazing bison while driving through the park.
            When we got to Jackson we checked into our hotel, then walked around the town for a while looking for a place to eat. We ended up having a really nice dinner at a local grill, then walking over to a little ice cream shop to get dessert, and walked around exploring town for a while. When the sun dipped behind the mountains, though, it got really cold pretty fast, and we walked back to our warm hotel room.
            Tomorrow will be my first day to get to really explore the park that will be my home until October. Don’t worry; I’ll definitely bring my camera along for the adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment