Friday, May 16, 2014

Job Training! Day One


            We got out of job training early today, so I figured I’d go ahead and make a blog post before dinner since I have some free time. After getting into my uniform (which we’re supposed to wear for training), I headed over to the lodge with Cristina to pick up our employee ID cards, then eat breakfast. We saw several other front desk agents in the cafeteria and joined them to eat, then we all headed over to the front desk to meet for our first day of training. There are nine front desk agents and three night auditors in the training, which is lead by our four main supervisors.
            Today seemed like mainly an overview of what we’ll be doing, standards and expectations, policies, and guest service information. We also got a tour of the lodge, including a few types of rooms they offer, and the separate cottages around the lodge that are also available to guests. Turns out one of the rooms in the lodge was once stayed in by John F. Kennedy and his wife, as well as Marilyn Monroe (not at the same time lol). Of course, that’s also a room that now rents out for over 800 dollars a night. A lot of the rooms in the lodge have absolutely spectacular views of the Tetons from their large windows, as do some of the cottages.
            While we were all standing on the balcony of one of the second story cottages this afternoon, I noticed a black bear in the field between the lodge and Jackson Lake itself. Having never seen a wild black bear before, it was pretty exciting.
            Before being let out of training for the day, we found out our schedules for next week. My days off are next Wednesday and Thursday, the 21st and 22nd. I think on Wednesday I’ll probably go hiking with one of my coworkers who also has that day off. On Monday, Tuesday and Friday I have the later shift of the day, 3:00 to 11:00 PM. The supervisors told us that we wouldn’t necessarily have the same schedule every week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment