Friday, May 9, 2014

Amarillo By Morning


            Forgive the title; being the lifelong Texan that I am, I just have to put out an occasional George Strait reference! Day one of the road trip has been successful. My dad and I are in our hotel in Lubbock; just finished having dinner with my brother. We figured we’d come see him one more time before leaving, and spend the first night here. We had lunch at a Dairy Queen on the road today. Needless to say, I cherished that meal. Don’t think I’ll be having DQ again for quite a while.
            The plan for tomorrow is to hit the road by 8:00, go up through- you guessed it- Amarillo, into New Mexico for a while, then Colorado. Hopefully we’ll be able to get passed Denver by tomorrow evening. We don’t have a hotel reserved anywhere; just going to keep on driving until we get tired and find a place! Our goal is to get to about Fort Collins, or at least near there, so the next day's drive won't be as bad. I slept a little in the car this morning, since the drive from San Antonio to Lubbock isn’t the most scenic in the world, and it’s a road I’ve already traveled multiple times. It seems almost impossible to me to drive more than an hour in Texas and not see either livestock, oil rigs, or windmills, and on the drive today we saw plenty of all of those things! We should definitely see some nice scenery tomorrow, though, going through New Mexico and Colorado. Just for fun, I’m keeping track of the different state license plates that I see on this trip. I’ve already seen Oklahoma, Colorado, California, Georgia, Illinois, New York, Florida, Arizona, and North Dakota. Wonder how many states I can add to that list tomorrow… 

No comments:

Post a Comment