Monday, May 26, 2014

Another Day in Paradise


            Okay, so obviously not all of my blog posts use song lyrics in the title, but I like to throw one in if I can find a song title/lyric that fits. Thankfully last night’s shift wasn’t as crazy or stressful as the one before it. There were parts of it that came close, but most of the shift went really smoothly. There were about 130 check ins that we were expecting at the beginning of yesterday’s shift, which was about 100 less than the shift before. We also didn’t have any huge rush of people at once, like before, and the housekeeping department was moving faster, so most rooms were ready by four. There were a few issues with some rooms, but overall it went pretty smoothly.
            When the shift ended at 11, Nate and I went to the Whistle Pig again. Cristina and Elliot were already in there, and we hung with them until it closed. Nate’s working from 7 to 3 today, so he went home after that. Elliot, Cristina and I went with a few other people to another dorm room to hang and talk for a while longer, then we all went home. It was a pretty fun night.
            I work the 3-11 shift today and tomorrow, then the 7-3 shift on Wednesday, and Thursday and Friday I’m off. I think, since today is the end of a holiday weekend, there will be more people checking out than checking in, so I don’t think we’ll be too busy today. The past two shifts there have been three front desk agents, which has made things a lot easier. Last night Jen was the only manager on duty, and she got pretty stressed out for a while. Tonight Christopher will be working with her, so hopefully it won’t be as stressful for them.
            It’s hard to believe that I’ve only been out here for two weeks. Thinking about everything I’ve already seen and done, and everyone I’ve gotten to know, it feels like a lot longer than that. The weather has been absolutely beautiful. It can get up into the 60’s in the late morning and afternoon, sunny, with a regular cool breeze. When the sun goes behind the mountains the temperature drops pretty quickly, getting into the 40’s or lower at night. There are still patches of snow around, but not too many. I’m beginning to think it’s impossible to have a bad day here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment