Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Open For Business!


            So yesterday I worked my first real shift at the front desk of Jackson Lake Lodge. Since the lodge just opened to guests yesterday, it wasn’t very busy. For opening day, it went really well. There were a few hiccups, but nothing too bad at all. I think everyone might’ve been a little nervous when they first started, but after checking in one or two people the nervousness went away. There were three front desk agents working the morning shift, and then me and one other girl, Maggie, working the later shift. As the front office manager, Rob was there most of the day running all over helping everyone. He finally went home around six.
            Christopher and Jen were the two supervisors that were with me for the entire shift. There were some times during the shift that were busier than others, but it never got too crazy. In fact, by about 8:00 there were only four more reservations that we were expecting to check in that night, and Christopher and Jen let Maggie and me go at 9:00.
            Shortly before I went on my dinner break, I checked in a couple that told me they were coming from San Antonio! Excitedly, I immediately told them that I was from there as well, and we talked for a bit about what areas we were from, the weather down in SA, etc. I also checked in three couples that were here celebrating their 40th anniversaries, one couple celebrating their 50th, and one couple that were here for their honeymoon.
            I went to dinner at the same time as Tanner, a guy that lives in my dorm building and works at the activities desk across the lobby from the front desk. Nate, a front desk agent that had been working the morning shift, also came into the employee dining room at the same time as we did and sat with us. We learned that all three of us have Wednesday off, so we’re planning to go explore the park together that day. We’ll probably go into Jackson for a while to hang out as well.
            I was planning to just go home and go to sleep after my shift, but since we got off at nine instead of eleven, I decided to go to the Whistle Pig for a while. Nate and Tanner were both there, as well as some other people I knew. We played a few games of pool and hung out. Eventually, Christopher showed up there as well, and when I asked him he said the rest of the evening went smoothly. I work the same shift today, then I’ll have Wednesday and Thursday off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment