Sunday, May 25, 2014

No Vacancy

            As of last night, Jackson Lake Lodge is at total capacity! Yesterday was definitely the craziest shift I’ve worked so far. The housekeeping staff was really busy trying to have all the rooms ready by four, when check in officially starts. There was actually a fundraiser event in the lodge, and a lot of people involved with that were staying overnight, which was the main reason we were totally full. They all seemed to come in one big rush to check in, which made it more stressful. When I started my shift at three, there were almost 250 check-ins that we were expecting. We were busy so consistently throughout the shift that none of the front desk agents were able to get a break for dinner. Near the end of the shift, when it finally slowed down, Jen (one of the managers) ordered us all food from the Whistle Pig. Nate, Maggie and I left the shift a little later than normal, so I didn’t eat dinner last night until about 11:30. Maggie just took her food to her dorm, but Nate and I ate and hung out in the Whistle Pig until it closed at midnight. I figured Cristina would be asleep by the time I got back to our room, which she was.
            We had to deal with a few angry guests while working. The main mix-up of the night was somehow two groups got checked into the same room. The first couple went and put their bags in the room, then left. When they came back, another group of people were in the room and their bags had been moved out. They came back to the front desk and were practically yelling at Nate. I felt kind of bad for him; it seemed like all the upset guests naturally went to the guy, and the happy guests came to the girls. Jen ended up giving the couple a free meal at the Mural Room, where they already had a reservation, and they calmed down. There were also some people that came in without a reservation that we had to turn down since we were totally full.
            At the end of the shift, both Jen and Brian, the bell captain, told me that shift was the craziest and most stressful that they’ll ever be. Guess it’s good that we got that one out of the way early.
            I go back in to work at three to work the same shift. Hopefully it won’t be as crazy as last night. Just now, as I was walking out of the EDR from having lunch, Nate texted me saying he heard that there was a bear at Moose Junction, only about a five-minute drive away. He picked me up in front of the lodge and we headed over. There was a large group of cars on the shoulder and several park rangers around the area. We pulled over, got out, and saw a large grizzly bear in front of the tall grass of the Willow Flats. After watching for a few minutes, we saw two yearling cubs crawl out of the grass to join her! Thankfully Nate had his camera with him and got some pictures of them. It was really amazing to see my very first wild grizzly bear, and then see the two cubs with her! 

No comments:

Post a Comment