Friday, June 13, 2014

A Day In The Life


            I just got back from having lunch at the EDR with Cristina and Tanner. Cristina’s been working the morning shift today, and she said it’s been really busy. There’s over two hundred check-outs expected today, so they’ve been going crazy trying to get all of those taken care of. Nate and I go in at three for the later shift, which shouldn’t be as bad. Cristina told me at lunch that there’s only a little over one hundred check-ins today, so at the end of the day the lodge will probably be at around seventy percent capacity. There also aren’t any big tour groups coming in today, which is a relief. Nate and I will be the only desk agents there for the later shift, but Jen and Christopher should be there too, so I don’t think it’ll be too bad. They’re all pretty fun to work with. I hope I can get out of there as close to eleven as possible, though, since I have to be back to work at seven tomorrow morning. It’s always hard to get enough sleep when I have to do that, but at least I’ll be done by three Saturday. Maybe I’ll go to the pool or something in the afternoon tomorrow after I get off. I think the plan is still to grill out here on the porch Saturday evening, which I’m looking forward to.
            Yesterday afternoon when I had some free time I decided to call some friends from back in SA. It was really nice to hear voices from home and exchange stories of what’s been going on recently. Getting news of what’s happening at the SA zoo was especially nice; I’ve been keeping up with it via the internet as much as I can, but hearing info about the new baby gibbon, how zoo camp’s been going, and other zoo stuff from an “inside source” was somehow better.
            Last night I just hung out on the porch with Jesse for a while after dinner, wrote and posted a blog update, then hung out in our room waiting for Cristina to get off work. When she got back, Tanner came over for a while to hang out in our room with us. Apparently it had been a pretty stressful shift last night, and Cristina told us a few horror stories of the night. Tanner then shared a few scary yet hilarious stories of things that went on, and went wrong, at another hotel that he used to work at.
            I’m sure a lot of my blog posts sound almost exactly like each other, and that’s because a lot of my days are pretty similar. Sure, each day here has something that makes it unique and special, but sometimes it’s a pretty small thing. I still like writing and posting what I do everyday, and I try to make each post interesting for y’all to read, which I hope they are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment