Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Counting Stars


            Yesterday when I came in to work I knew it’d be a pretty slow day. By the time I headed to the EDR for my dinner break, there was only about thirty more check-ins we were expecting for the rest of the night, which is much fewer than usual. At about 7:30 Jen and Christopher said that one of us could leave, and James and Maggie both said it could be me. I’d met Jesse, Nate and Cristina at dinner, and they said they’d probably go the Whistle Pig later. When I got off I quickly changed out of my uniform and went over to meet them. We didn’t stay too long- Nate had some friends visiting that were staying up in Colter Bay that he wanted to go see- but it was still fun. Cristina, Jesse and I walked back to dorm two together, then met up on the back porch again. We lit up the tiki torches that we put out there and relaxed, enjoying the nice evening. After sitting out there for a while, Tanner came out to join us. He’s now joining us for karaoke in Jackson tomorrow night, so it’ll be five people (me, Cristina, Nate, Elliot, and Tanner). It should be a really fun night.
            At about 10:30 Cristina went inside to go to bed. By that time I’d grabbed a pillow and blanket off of my bed and was lying on top of the picnic table. Tanner stayed out there until about eleven, when he went back to his room. I stayed out there, lying on the picnic table with the pillow and blanket from my bed, staring up at the stars, until almost midnight. You can see way more stars out here than back in SA, and that combined with the sliver moon that was out made for a really beautiful night, even though it was cold. The temperature definitely drops pretty quickly here once the sun goes behind the mountain. Cristina and I usually don’t have the heater on in our room during the day, but we still turn it on once the sun goes down. Eventually the warmth of our room was too tempting to resist, and I blew out the tiki torches and went to bed.
            I just got back from having lunch at the EDR with Nate, Cristina, and Brian (the bell captain). The three of them are thinking of doing something together later this afternoon. I go into work at three again today, but I’m off tomorrow and Thursday. Nate’s also off tomorrow, so we’re planning on hanging out together during the day, then meeting up with everyone else in the evening to head into Jackson. Depending on the weather (it’s pretty cold and cloudy today) we might go for a hike, or maybe find something else to do. Thursday is the trip up to Yellowstone that Shane set up. Tanner said he has Thursday off as well, and when I told him about the trip he said he’d probably sign up for it too. Looks like I’ve got another full, fun weekend in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment