Monday, June 2, 2014

Glory Days


            Working last night with Cristina and Nate was really nice. They’re both a lot of fun to hang and work with. We had a few big groups coming in yesterday. The lodge has several conference rooms, so businesses often bring people out here to stay with us and use the rooms. One of the groups we had coming and checking in yesterday was from the FBI, and trust me, they didn’t all look the way you’d expect an FBI agent to look. It was pretty cool to check them in though. The manager on duty with us was Jen, who’s pretty cool. During the slower parts of the shift she just relaxed and chatted with the three of us.
            About an hour before the shift ended Jen said one of us could go home, and Cristina and I let Nate go since he had to be back at work at seven this morning. I go in at three again today, and Cristina has today off. She went into Yellowstone to visit her brother, who works up there. This shift should be another easy one. Seeing as how it’s Monday, we shouldn’t have too many people checking in unless we have another business group coming in, which I doubt. I work with Maggie and James for this shift, and Jen and Christopher will be the managers on duty. Tomorrow I work the same shift, then I have the next two days off. Nate also has Wednesday off, so we’re planning to hang out during the day. Some of the trails right around here are closed for now due to bear activity, so he suggested driving down to Jenny Lake to check out some of the trails around there, which should be cool. The last time I went over there a lot of the trails were still snow covered, but I heard they’re not any more. Jenny Lake Lodge just opened to guests yesterday. It’s smaller than Jackson Lake Lodge and a little more exclusive.
Then Wednesday night we’re going into Jackson with Cristina and Elliot for what she insists on calling a “double date”. I told them that I’d definitely go, but don’t expect me to actually take part in the karaoke. Cristina and Nate both said that they’d find a way to get me to do it with them. We’ll see. It’ll be a fun day. Thursday Shane, the employee recreation director, is planning a trip to Yellowstone for employees that have the day off, which I’ve already signed up for. I’m definitely looking forward to that as well.
I just got back from having lunch at the EDR with Nate, and am now sitting on the picnic table by our back patio. I think so far, this is my favorite spot that I’ve found in the park. There are a lot of beautiful areas around here; in fact, it’s hard to find a spot that’s NOT beautiful. But the pine trees, sounds of birds, cool breeze, and regular sightings of Todd, the neighborhood fox, makes this spot really peaceful and just wonderful to sit out in. And having some good company to share it with, like we did Saturday evening, makes it even better.
I also have to note that today is the first day of zoo camp at the San Antonio Zoo. It’s the first time in quite a few years that I’m not there for this day at the zoo. It’s felt pretty weird being here for the past few weeks instead of in zoo camp training like I’m used to. I miss the amazing animals, staff, and volunteers that I got to work with regularly during zoo camp in the summers. Everyone I worked with, from the teen volunteers to the education staff to the zookeepers, made my job so much fun, and I miss all of you. However, that being said, I know I made the right choice by coming out here instead of working another summer of zoo camp. Coming to work here was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. No offense to zoo camp- it was a lot of fun- but this is quickly becoming the best summer of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment