Saturday, June 28, 2014

Crazy Days


            Last night at work was absolutely insane!! When I got there at three we were still expecting about 170 check-ins, so we could all tell it was going to be a busy day. Thankfully housekeeping was doing a good job of getting the rooms ready in time, but we were expecting to be at over ninety percent capacity by the end of the night, so everyone was working hard to make sure everything was ready. Jen and Christopher, who were the supervisors when we arrived, said they really wanted to sell out tonight, so we could offer walk in rates if someone without a reservation came in asking for a room. At the beginning of the shift we had about eight rooms still available, but by the end of the night we’d sold all of them. It was raining pretty hard for most of the evening, which played a part in us selling out. We had guests who were planning on driving beyond us today but didn’t want to continue in the rain, and guests that had been planning on camping but decided to stay with us instead due to the rain. The negative aspect of selling out, though, is we can’t give guests the option of a room-move if there are any problems with their room. Due to that, our housekeeping and maintenance departments were super busy taking care of any issues that the guests told us about. The craziness at the front desk did calm down in the last few hours of the shift, though, and Nate, David and I were able to relax and chat amongst ourselves. At that time, I asked David if he’d like to switch shifts today, so he’d work the earlier shift and I’d work the later one. He’d said earlier that he preferred the earlier shift, and I preferred the later one, so he said he’d definitely switch with me. After making a quick call to Rob to make sure it was okay, we officially wrote the switch on the calendar. So, instead of going in at seven this morning, I’m going to go in at three and work with Nate and Jen again. It should be another busy shift, but not as busy as yesterday’s.
            When we finally got off at eleven, the three of us went to the Whistle Pig to hang out and blow off some of the stress of that crazy shift. Maggie, Elliot, and some other friends of ours were in there, and we played a couple of games of pool and just relaxed, before heading back to our dorms when it closed at midnight.
            I just got back from having lunch at the EDR with Cristina and Tanner. I still work the morning shift tomorrow with Cristina and James. It’s pretty much impossible to get enough sleep when I have to work the later shift one day and the earlier shift the next day, so I think I’ll probably come back here and take a nap when my shift’s over tomorrow. 
            It seems like, most of the time, the posts that include pictures get the most views, so I’ll try to start including pictures more often. I’ve noticed recently that people that don’t know me at all are reading this blog simply by finding it on blogspot. I know part of the point of a blog is that it’s public, and some bloggers are followed by a lot of people, but it still kind of surprised me to learn that people that don’t know me at all still want to follow this blog. Pretty cool I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment