Sunday, June 15, 2014

Feels Like Home


            Little change of plans! Yesterday evening before getting the grill going I walked back over to the lodge with Jesse and Cristina to get some supplies from the EDR, and we hung out in the lobby for a while with Nate, who was working the desk with Maggie. I knew I’d probably stay up pretty late to hang out on the back porch with everyone, and saw on the schedule that Maggie was scheduled to work the afternoon shift again today, while I was scheduled in the morning. I asked Maggie if she wanted to switch shifts, so I’d be able to sleep a little later this morning, and she immediately agreed. The later shift today will definitely be busier than the morning one, but I don’t think it’ll be too bad. Nate’s working this afternoon too, which should make the shift more fun.
            Grilling last night was a lot of fun. Jesse grilled Italian sausages, red peppers, and some peaches with butter and brown sugar, all of which were delicious. He also made a literally “grilled cheese sandwich” for Cristina, who’s a vegetarian. Ken, one of the bellmen (and one of the few employees I’ve met who’s also from Texas), came and joined us for most of the evening. He and I walked down to the Whistle Pig not long after he arrived and got French fries, mozzarella sticks, and onion rings, which we brought back to the dorm. It was the best meal I’d had in quite a while. When we were done we just relaxed and listened to music for a while, and later on we made s’mores with the last heat of the grill. We stayed out on the patio until Nate got off work at eleven and came and joined us for just a little longer, then the cold got the better of us and we all said goodnight. I slept fairly late this morning, which felt nice since I’d been up pretty late last night. Pretty soon Cristina and I will probably head to meet Nate, Jesse and Tanner at the EDR for lunch.
            I hadn’t noticed this yet when I posted my previous blog, but as of yesterday I’ve been living in Grand Teton National Park for exactly one month. I don’t think I’ve ever been away from my family and friends in San Antonio for this long before. At the same time, Cristina, Nate, Jesse, Tanner, and the other people I’ve met here are honestly some of the best friends that I’ve ever had; it’s so hard to believe that I’ve only known them for a month. This is already, for sure, the best summer of my life, and I really don’t want it to end. This place has really become my home, and the people around me have become my family. 

2 comments: