Thursday, June 26, 2014

Bring On The Rain


            Last night was another fun night here in the park with my awesome friends! About mid afternoon Jesse and I headed into Jackson to hang out. We walked around the town for a while, stopping in a few stores, getting some simple stuff we’d been wanting in the dorm. At about 5:30 we decided that, instead of eating directly in town, we’d head back into the park and eat at Dornan’s, which is a little pasta and pizza restaurant on the way back to the lodge. As we got there and were walking in, we saw Nate and another employee we know walking out. We chatted with them for a while, and Nate agreed to meet us at the Whistle Pig later on. We then went into Dornan’s and had some delicious pizza before heading back to the lodge.
            It was late in the evening when we got back home- the sun sets so late here that evening seems to stretch much farther than it does in other places. It doesn’t really get dark until after nine. I hung out in the dorm by myself for a while- Cristina was still at work- then walked over to the Whistle Pig. Nate was already in there playing pool when I walked in, and Maggie was in there as well. I walked over to where he was and watched the rest of the pool game. We stayed in there until it closed at midnight playing pool, putting music on the jukebox, and just talking. Elliot came in later, when he was done with work, and joined us. James and a few more of our coworkers also came in.
            At midnight when it closed Elliot, Nate and I went to the dorm of another guy that works in the Mural Room with Elliot to hang out some more. We didn’t stay over there too long though; at I think about one Nate said that he was going home, and I followed him out. I really like the way the employee dorms are set up, what with everything being so close together. I can walk from my dorm to the Whistle Pig, Nate’s dorm, the employee village office, the EDR, or the lodge in a maximum of only about five minutes, which is especially nice at night. I’ll admit that the walk from the lodge back to my dorm after my shift ends at eleven at night can be a bit creepy, but also kind of cool in a way.
            I woke up this morning to the sound of rain outside. Cristina’s working the morning shift today, so she was already gone by the time I woke up. The rain had stopped by the time I went to lunch, but it’s still pretty dark and cloudy outside, with the occasional roll of thunder. I think, what with the way it looks, it’ll probably rain again before the day is over. I don’t really mind it though; this place is beautiful rain, snow, shine, or whatever other kind of weather it might get.
I just got back from having lunch at the EDR with Cristina and Nate. I’ve been able to guess about when she usually takes her lunch break, so I went to meet her in the lobby and we walked back to the EDR together. Just as we were walking in we noticed Nate, who just happened to be there at the same time, so we ate together. We also saw Jesse in there for a while. Yesterday he’d said that he needed to be at work at 5:30 this morning, which is probably why he wasn’t in the Whistle Pig last night. On the good side of that, he’s probably already off work for the day.
Last night, Maggie told me and Nate that Christopher had just put in his two weeks notice. He apparently got a better job in a hotel in Jackson, so he’s leaving. Because of that, Maggie said, there’s going to be a supervisor position opening soon. There’s a chance they’ll pick that supervisor from one of the current front desk agents, if we apply. Maggie said she’s going to apply, and Cristina might as well. Nate and I both said that we don’t really want supervisor jobs right now; we haven’t done the job long enough, and don’t really want the extra responsibility and hours that the supervisor would inevitably get. If Cristina or Maggie get it, that’s great; I, on the other hand, like my regular two days a week off.
The thunder outside is getting louder and more frequent, and it’s gotten even darker. Seems like an afternoon storm is about to start! Tomorrow I work the afternoon shift with Nate and David, then morning shift Saturday and Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment