Sunday, June 29, 2014

Sunday Morning Coming Down


            Last night was another insane shift at the desk. When Nate and I arrived at the lodge at three, there were still almost 190 check-ins expected. Emily and Jen were the supervisors for the shift. It was overall okay for a lot of it; busy, but we weren’t having any problems. When we arrived there were six rooms left to sell, and by the end of the night we were at full capacity again. It wasn’t until about 10:30 at night that things got really crazy. It was about then that we realized there were about three unoccupied rooms that were still in “dirty” status in our computer system. Knowing that the people that had reserved those rooms would inevitably be in soon, we called housekeeping, hoping it was just a glitch in our system and the rooms were really clean. What sucked was just before noticing this, Emily had left for the night leaving Jen in charge for the remainder of the shift. It seems like whenever something goes wrong, Jen is the supervisor for it.
            Turns out it wasn’t a glitch in our system, and the rooms really were dirty. By that time at night there’s only one or two housekeepers still working, so Jen actually left the desk to help clean the rooms as quickly as possible. Soon after she left, one of the guests arrived, trying to check-in to one of the dirty rooms. It was pretty ridiculous having to tell him that the room wasn’t ready, at eleven o’clock at night, but that’s what Nate and I had to do. Not long after, while he was still waiting in the lobby, the second group of guests arrived, wanting the other room. Long story short, what with all the confusion and craziness going on, Nate and I didn’t leave until almost midnight. I was pretty exhausted by the end of it, and knowing I’d have to be back at work at seven this morning didn’t help.
            The highlight of the night was coming home to see Cristina and Tanner hanging on her bed watching The Lion King on her laptop. Tanner’s old roommate just moved out of dorm two, so Tanner moved in with Jesse in the room next to ours. Tanner was previously only three doors down from us, but having him in Jesse’s room now is even better since he now also has access to the back door of the dorm room.
            I woke up this morning at about 5:45, definitely not feeling like I got enough sleep. Getting up and ready for work was really tough. Cristina and I were working with Maggie this morning, and Emily was back as the supervisor again. We were expecting almost two hundred check-outs this morning. Check-outs are really easy to do, but that’s still a lot. Emily had heard about the craziness that went down after she left last night, and we talked about it a little bit at the beginning of the shift. I was there for a few hours working, but Emily then said I could leave early. She knew that I’d been there until almost midnight last night, and I think she could tell that I was still really tired. I didn’t want to leave them for the rest of the shift, but I knew that Cristina, Emily, and Maggie could take care of it, so I came back home and took a nap.
            I just got back from meeting Nate and Jesse at the EDR for dinner. Nate’s working the later shift today; he said so far it hasn’t been bad at the desk. Jesse was about to get off work when we were eating, and I’m currently sitting out on the back porch hanging with him. Today is the first day in a while that it hasn’t rained, and it’s very beautiful out here. One of our neighborhood foxes just ran by, and the sunlight through the branches of the pine trees, along with the wildflowers growing all around us, makes this the perfect spot to relax. I think later I’ll probably go to the Whistle Pig to hang out with Cristina and Tanner. I go into work tomorrow at three; Cristina has the day off. I think I’ll probably get up in time to meet Nate for breakfast tomorrow morning before he goes in for the earlier shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment