Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Night Before


Work last night with Cristina and Nate was a lot of fun! We were pretty busy at some parts, but busy can be fine if there aren’t problems. Right before I went on my dinner break a couple came up to check in. Their reservation was for one classic cottage that night, then moving to two non-view rooms in the lodge for the following three nights, since one of their parents were coming to meet them then. Before checking in, though, they told me this was a special occasion and asked me if there were any other rooms available that I’d recommend over the lodge rooms. I looked in our system and saw that two of the moose pond suite rooms were available for the nights of their stay. I told them that, though the Moran suite in the lodge is the most expensive, I’d prefer to stay in one of the moose pond suites if I could. After explaining the room to them a bit more, they asked if they could see it, so I gave the room key to one of the bellmen who took them over to the room, then I went to dinner. When I got back, Rob, who was the desk supervisor for that shift, said that they’d rented out one of the moose pond suites that night and reserved the other for the rest of their stay, for the parents. He then gave me a Grand Teton Lodge Company raffle ticket. Employees can win the tickets from their supervisors as a reward and enter them in a raffle for a grand prize drawing that’ll happen later in the season.
            I also met and checked in quite a few Texans last night. We always ask to see a photo ID at check-in, and if I see a Texas one I usually ask where specifically they’re from, and strike up a conversation from there. Last night I checked in groups from Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. Even weirder, the couple from San Antonio asked me what high school I’d gone to, and when I said Alamo Heights, they said they’d both gone there too! Small world we live in… Thankfully we weren’t very busy by the time they came, so I was able to chat with them for a while after checking them in. Right before leaving, the man started to sing the Alamo Heights school song there in the lobby, and I joined along. All of that, along with the fun that I always have working with Cristina and Nate, made for a really great night at work.
            I got done with my seven to three shift about an hour ago and am currently sitting outside on our back porch chatting with Cristina, Jesse, and Tanner. I worked with Cristina and Maggie, with Rob and Christopher on as supervisors. It was overall a pretty easy shift. Tomorrow Cristina and I work the morning shift again, then I’m afternoon for the next two days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment