Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Another Weekend In The Park!


Well, last night's shift definitely had some... interesting moments, but overall it wasn't hard. I was working with Sofi and Rebecca, with Rob as our supervisor on duty. We had about 150 check-ins expected when we arrived, and were at about 90 percent capacity. For the first time in a long time, we weren't sold out at the end of the night, which was fine with me. The night ran very smoothly, with housekeeping getting most of the rooms ready on time and a lot of the guests actually being really pleasant and nice to work with. It wasn't until later in the night that we got some drama. It started with seeing several NPS officers come into the main lobby and quickly go up the grand staircase. Soon, a few more followed them. Rob went to check it out and came back to tell us that a guest had somehow seriously hit her head while eating in the Pioneer Grill. I'm not exactly sure how that ended, but the lobby calmed back down after a while. The next fun bit of drama was a bat flying right through the front doors of the lodge and into the lobby. Thankfully there weren't very many people in there by that time, but those that were definitely seemed a bit freaked out by it, including my coworkers. Eventually a staff member from maintenance was able to catch it with a net and rerelease it outside (away from the lodge). Overall it turned out to be an exciting but not difficult night.
I returned to work this morning at seven, along with Cristina and Rebecca, with Emily as our supervisor. Today is Jen's birthday, so she thankfully has the day off to have fun. Last night some people from the desk, and some other departments, went camping together to celebrate her birthday. I would've gone, but what with working until eleven last night and having to come back in at seven this morning, I wouldn't have been able to really spend much time there. Emily had gone, and she said that it'd been a really fun night.
This morning, not long after we arrived at the desk, Heidi, the hotel operator for this shift, came in with a scraped up knee and hand. She said that she'd fallen while walking to the lodge. Elena, who was the supervisor here at the time, cleaned and bandaged up the scrapes, and said that she could go home if she needed to. I offered to take over the operator's job for the shift if she wanted to leave; I've taken over it for meal breaks plenty of times, and it's a super easy job. Just being able to sit down, and not being right in front of the guests makes it a lot easier. Heidi ended up sticking around until I got back from the first lunch break and took over for the rest of the shift.
After work, Cristina and I came home and relaxed in our room until dinnertime. Since I worked until a little after eleven last night, I didn't get quite as much sleep as I would've liked, so just going home and resting sounded really good when we got off today.
It feels weird having the next two days off since I've only worked two days since my last weekend, but I'm not complaining. I've got an activity planned for tomorrow that I'm pretty excited about; it should last most of the day, and be a lot of fun. It started raining here shortly after I got back from dinner, and it might rain tomorrow too, so I’m not sure yet if I’ll bring my camera on it or not. We’ll see. Either way, it should be a really fun day off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment