Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Having Fun All Summer Long


            Last night was another easy, actually kind of fun shift at the desk. It was me, Nate, David and Jen. As I said in the last post, we had quite a few groups coming in today, and most of them we could batch check-in, so it was really easy even though we were at full capacity again by about dinner time. When I checked last night I also noticed that we’re also already at full capacity for the next two or three nights as well.
            The first two hours or so of the shift were really busy. It seemed like I was constantly either checking in a guest or talking on the phone with one. Overall it wasn’t bad, though, since it made those first couple of hours go faster. It slowed down by a little after five, and one by one, we started going on our dinner breaks.
            By the time I got back from dinner most of the groups had already come through, so we had less than fifty check-ins remaining for the rest of the night. I think we could all tell that it would be a pretty slow rest of the night. I kind of expected Jen to say that one of us could go home early, but she didn’t. I didn’t really mind that though; we were getting paid to basically just stand around, browse the Internet, and joke around with each other. Yes, occasionally someone would come into the lobby looking to check-in, but overall it was really slow.
            By the time nine o’clock rolled around, we had about eighteen more check-ins left, and I started quizzing David and Nate about animal facts to make the time go faster. It turned out to be pretty fun actually. I quizzed them on everything from “how many species of bears are there in the world?” to “what animals can recognize themselves in a mirror?” to “what’s the difference between pythons and boas?” Their answers were pretty hilarious. Occasionally I’d also throw in a really easy one for them. Jen and Brian, the bellman on duty last night, joined in for a while as well. David asked me at one point what website I was looking at, and I replied, “the website of my brain!” It definitely seemed to make the rest of the shift go faster, and also made it more fun.
            When we got off at eleven, David and I decided to go to the Whistle Pig for a while to hang out, while Nate just went home. There weren’t too many people in there last night, but it was still fun to hang out there.
            I go back in at three today, working with Rebecca and David again. It’s my Friday, thankfully, and it sounds like I’ve got a nice weekend ahead of me. Tomorrow during the day I think I’ll probably mostly just hang out around here and rest to help get over the last of this cold that I’ve had the past few days. In the evening I’m heading into town with Tanner, Cristina, Nate, and a few other people for another karaoke night. Thursday Elena (the rooms division manager), set up a volunteer trail clean up project that she wants people to help with, so I agreed to go to that. It’ll be from eight to about one, and then we’ll arrive back at the lodge. Then Thursday from five to about midnight the company is throwing an employee “Rendezvous Party” in one of the large conference rooms in the lodge. It’ll include dinner and some other events and activities. I’m sure I’ll end up going to that since I’m off and don’t go into work until three on Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment