Friday, August 29, 2014

Closing Time

When I arrived at the desk for work at about seven this morning, there were only ninety departures scheduled for the day. I don't remember ever seeing the number of check-outs being that low. I didn’t feel fully awake when I got to the desk, but it didn’t really matter since the lobby was so empty. Cristina, Rebecca and I knew it was going to be a long, slow morning, especially considering the fact that quite a few people don't even come to the desk to check out, but just leave the keys in their room. The only thing that occasionally makes check-outs a little more difficult is if there's a problem with the bill, but even that doesn't happen very often.
By the time I went to lunch the number of departures remaining had dropped from ninety down to about twenty. The rest of the shift was mainly just the three of us browsing the internet on our computers and occasionally checking people in that came in early. It was a very easy shift.
Cristina and I left at three, came back to our room, and relaxed until about 5:30, when we headed to dinner. We met and sat with Nate, Tanner and Brian in the EDR. They’d all had the day off, and had spent most of it going for a long hike over in Paintbrush Canyon. They looked a little worn out, but also happy.
Tomorrow I go into work at three, which I’m happy about. If I had to choose between being at the desk at seven in the morning or eleven o’clock at night, I’d prefer the latter. Both shifts have their typical busy times and slow times, and overall I’d say that the later shift is busier. I still like it better though. When I looked at the schedule I saw that we have about 190 expected arrivals for tomorrow, which is more than we’ve had in a while, but not overwhelming. Hopefully we have at least a couple of tours coming in. Sunday looks really easy for the later shift, with only exactly one hundred check-ins to take care of. Cristina and Nate, who work the earlier shift that day, will be really busy though; there’s about 230 check-outs scheduled. Even though check-outs are easier, I think that their shift that day will be harder than mine.
It definitely feels like the season is very close to its end. I can tell that some employees have already left; the EDR doesn’t feel as full at meals anymore. There are also a few signs up in employee areas asking if anyone wants to stay a few extra days to help the lodge close up for the winter. The end is definitely near…
 I work with Jen, Felix and Sofi for the next two days. Then on Monday I work with David, Maggie and Jen, before beginning my next and last weekend here in this park. I have nine more full days here until I head back home. Yes, I’m pretty much counting down at this point. I still love this place, but I’m ready to be back in San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment