Saturday, August 9, 2014

Three Months I've Been Living Here


Three months. Thirteen weeks. Ninety-two days. That’s how long this adventure has lasted. On May ninth I left San Antonio for what I knew would be the longest time away from it so far in my life. It was a day of mixed emotions. I was excited to begin this crazy journey in Grand Teton National Park that has turned into an absolutely unforgettable summer. I guess it didn’t really hit me until we crossed out of Texas the next day. The day before felt more like a normal drive to Lubbock to visit Sam, which we’d done multiple times before. But as I got farther away from home, it became more real that we were going much farther than Lubbock, and I’d be gone for much more than a few days. I honestly don’t remember feeling scared or nervous at all; those that know me know that the times I get really nervous are few and far between. I did, however, feel a little sad to be leaving the city that I love so much and has been my lifelong home. I kept reminding myself that it’s temporary and I’d be back to see everyone again in a few months. My last day at the zoo, May seventh, I went in the morning telling myself I wasn’t going to cry, and I was successful at that. I remember before I left though, hugging all of the Wednesday docents and the education staff. Normally, if I knew I wouldn’t see one of them for a while, it was because they were leaving, for whatever reason. This time, for the first time, I was the one that would be gone.
Now, three fifths of the way through this adventure, I’ve had even more crazy, fun times than I thought I would. From kayaking on Jackson Lake to grilling outside and celebrating Cristina’s birthday to cliff jumping into the Gros Ventre River to hiking up to Inspiration Point to camping up on a beautiful hill with some great friends the night before the fourth of July, this summer has been absolutely insane. I also really love the great friends I’ve made here in this park. One thing I love the most is the fact that we’re all so diverse, especially in terms of where we come from. Cristina’s from Florida, Nate’s from Arizona, Tanner’s from Virginia, Jesse’s from Michigan, Brian’s from Pennsylvania, and so on. The two new desk agents added even more places to that list: Sofi’s from California and Felix, amazingly enough, is from Australia. It’s really awesome to think about how I now know people from all of these different places.
As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, it kind of already feels like the season is coming to a close, even though we still have almost two months left. I’m hearing more conversations among staff about what they think they’re doing for the winter season. Some people have plans to go work in Colorado or Lake Tahoe or one of the other properties that this company runs. I’ve heard that there’s a job fair near the end of the season to show us all the opportunities we have for the winter. I’m sure that I’ll go to that, if I’m not working, even though I’m pretty much positive that I’m just going to go home after this. Anyway, time to move on to recent news.
Yesterday I went in at three to work the desk with Nate, Sofi, Felix, and Jen. We were already at full capacity when we got there, as I know we are again tonight. We had a lot of stayovers, though, so when we got there at three there were almost exactly one hundred check-ins expected, which is much less than usual. There is also a wedding going on today that a lot of people were checking in for yesterday afternoon, as well as a couple of conferences. One issue that Jen let us know about when we all arrived was that, although we weren’t oversold on rooms overall, we were oversold on rooms inside the lodge building itself. All of the wedding party wanted to be inside the lodge, so we were oversold by one of those rooms. Thankfully we did have a mountain view cottage still available to move a guest into. The one guest that wasn’t with the wedding that wanted to be in the lodge was a woman with a young child. Jen called her ahead of time to offer the upgrade to her, but she said, since she had the young child, it’d be easier to be inside the lodge. We didn’t tell her on the phone that she really didn’t have a choice. I was surprised that she didn’t immediately accept the upgrade; after all, the mountain view cottage had (obviously) a view of the mountains, while the room she originally booked didn’t.
At about nine o’clock we were down to fifteen check-ins. Jen asked Nate first if he wanted to go home, since he was scheduled to come back and work the morning shift today. He said he’d actually prefer to stay though. Since the last time we were in this situation, Nate was the one that ended up leaving early, I told Jen that I’d leave this time, which she said she was fine with. At the time I left the woman who’d been switched to the cottage still hadn’t arrived, so I don’t know how that turned out.
I just got back from having lunch in the EDR. I go in at three again today, working with Rebecca, Maggie and Jen. Like I said earlier, we’re already at full capacity tonight, but when I checked yesterday, we only have 125 check-ins expected. That’s more than yesterday, but still not hard. I think we have a lot of stayovers again due to the wedding and conferences. As long as housekeeping gets the rooms ready on time, we should be fine. I work the later shift again tomorrow, and then have Monday off. I think that’ll be the first day of the entire season that Cristina and I have the same day off. Maybe we’ll do something together. And, by the way, yes, the title of this post is a song lyric.

No comments:

Post a Comment