Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Night Of The Wolf


            Well, there’s not much news to report since my last post. Last night I went to the Whistle Pig for a little while to hang out with Elliot, Devin, John from security, and a few other people. It wasn’t very full in there, which was fine with me. We talked about how work was going for all of us, and if we had plans for the winter season. The job fair for Vail Resorts is coming up. I’m not sure exactly what day it will be, but within the next couple of weeks. I’ve heard it’ll be on one of the lodge’s conference rooms and will go on all day. I’m sure I’ll go at some point to just look around, even though I’m sure I’ll just go back home when this season’s over.
Cristina, Tanner, Jesse, and Nate just went out to go hiking around for the day, since they all have off. Sadie, who works in the Blue Heron upstairs in the lodge, went with them. She’s leaving very soon to go back to school. I just got back from having lunch in the EDR.I go into work at three again today, working with David and Rebecca, with Emily as the supervisor. It shouldn’t be a bad shift at all; I like working with all of them. Then I go into work at seven on Wednesday, working with Cristina and Rebecca again. I haven’t had to do the “flip flop shifts” in a couple of weeks, so I hope I’ll be able to leave right at eleven tonight to get as much sleep as possible. It shouldn’t be too bad though, since the morning shift is so easy. Maybe tomorrow after work I’ll go back to the pool to hang out; the water felt absolutely great yesterday!
Other news, that I surprisingly haven’t mentioned yet, is that on Sunday evening I saw my first wolf. After getting off work a little early, instead of walking straight back to my dorm I decided to walk out to the lodge’s back patio to enjoy the mountains for a few minutes, and I’m very glad I did. Looking out at the Teton Range and the willow flats in front of them, I saw a group of elk in one of the meadow clearings, grazing. It’s not at all unusual to see elk out there, especially in late evening, so I wasn’t surprised at that. Then, however, I saw two gray wolves in another clearing eating something that looked like a deer carcass. I’d heard that wolves were much more plentiful in Yellowstone than here in this park, so I could hardly believe it. These were definitely much bigger than coyotes, though; even from the distance, I could clearly tell that they were wolves. I’d heard wolves howling at night several times before here, so I knew that they were around somewhere, but I honestly didn’t expect to see them. It was a really cool experience.
Well, like I said, there’s not much other news to report for today, so I’ll just check back in after work tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment