Sunday, August 17, 2014

Might As Well Swim


            So far it’s been a really nice day off. But let’s start with yesterday’s news, right where the last post left off. Last night, after another easy shift, Nate and I went over to the Whistle Pig, meeting up with Elliot and some other friends. We ended up hanging out in there until it closed at midnight, then talking with everybody right outside the Whistle Pig for at least another half hour, until the cold got the better of us. It’s so weird to me that, no matter how warm it gets during the day, the temperature drops a huge amount once the sun goes down!
            Since I was out so late last night, I didn’t get up early for breakfast this morning. When I got up I decided to go back up to Lunch Tree Hill to just sit and enjoy the incredible view, as I like to do some mornings. That spot really seems to have one of the best views in the entire park, and to think that it’s only about fifteen minutes from my dorm is pretty spectacular.
            I went and sat up on the hill for a while, taking in the beauty of the scene that never fails to amaze me. I saw a few moose out in the willow flats beneath me, along with some elk and a variety of cool birds. The ravens that live around here are getting absolutely huge, and their call is one of the creepiest sounds I’ve ever heard. They’re probably the smartest of the native species here as well. Fun fact- ravens are one of very few animals that can recognize their reflection in a mirror (as opposed to seeing it and thinking it’s another animal).
            Soon after returning to my dorm from Lunch Tree Hill, I headed to the EDR for lunch with Jesse, Maggie and Nate. Nate’s working the later shift today, and Maggie’s off. Walking back after lunch, I decided to go to the pool to enjoy the beautiful, sunny day. The pool will close in early September, so I definitely want to use it as much as I can before that. Surprisingly, it really wasn’t very crowded. I spent quite a while in the fairly warm water, then some more time relaxing on one of the chairs around the pool. It was sunny but also fairly windy, making the water feel warmer than the air.
            After coming back to my dorm from the pool, I showered and relaxed out on the back porch until heading to dinner with Jesse. Cristina and Tanner were both working the earlier shifts at the desks, but I think they went into town together after getting off. We saw Nate in the EDR and the three of us ate together.
            I have the day off tomorrow as well. My only commitment is the employee safety meeting at one o’clock. Rob said that it was up to me if I wanted to go to the meeting or not, but seeing as how it’ll basically be getting paid to sit around and listen to other people from the company talk about safety, it won’t be a big deal. I’m hoping that I can go back to the pool after it, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment