Thursday, August 14, 2014

I'm Gonna Make This Place Your Home



            I just got back from having lunch at the EDR with a few of the lodge’s bellmen. They said it’s been pretty slow and easy so far. I start work at three today, along with David and Nate. We’re probably at full capacity again, or at least will be by the end of the night. Having last night off to hang out with Cristina, Tanner and Jesse was really nice; I haven’t seen any of them so far today. Cristina and Tanner are both at their desks right now, and I guess Jesse’s probably working too.
            It would be nice to have today off, like I was originally scheduled for, but at least I still have tomorrow. Shane, the employee recreation director, scheduled an employee hike tomorrow around a place called Hanging Canyon, not far from Jenny Lake. I think I may sign up for that one. It’s about a six mile hike and is in a really beautiful area.
            It kind of seems like the busy season is nearing its end. Rob gave most of the people at the desk at least three days off next week. I’m only scheduled to work Saturday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I definitely want to make the most of those days off. I’ll probably do some more hiking and maybe plan a trip up to Yellowstone. I also want to go kayaking on Jackson Lake again soon; that was absolutely amazing.
            Looking at the date, I just realized that exactly three months ago was the day I moved into the employee dorms here. May 14: the day I met Tanner, Cristina, Elliot, and Jesse (in that order). Tanner was the first person I really met when I came here; he helped carry my bags from the car into my dorm room. At that time I figured he was a nice guy but I really didn’t expect for him to become one of my best friends here. I met Cristina not long after that, in our room, then Elliot in the EDR at dinner. Last but not least, I met Jesse out on our back porch later that evening. The next day I met Nate, my other coworkers, and my supervisors. In these three short months, this place has come to really feel like home. I know the area really well, have become friends with most of the other employees, and have just gotten to feel really comfortable and safe here. Now, with less than two months until the lodge closes, it’s beginning to feel like the end is near. Several friends that I made here have already left to go back to school, and a few are going to be leaving in the next week or so. Even those of us that are staying until the end are already talking a lot about what their plans are for the winter season. In October I’ll be happy to go back home to San Antonio, but I’ll also really miss this beautiful place and these awesome people. 
            For my last bit of news, I’ll say that this is my 100th post on this blog. After making a post every day straight for over two months, that doesn’t really surprise me. It’s still cool to see the number of posts go into triple digits, though. I’ll miss updating this blog when the season ends and my life returns to “normal”. This has been an awesome way to not only keep up with people back home, but to remember my awesome experiences just so I can look back on them. I’ve gone over and reread many of these posts, and it’s great to have this as a kind of journal. It’s interesting to see which posts are the longest, which ones have the most views, and which ones seem to stand out in other ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment