Sunday, August 24, 2014

We Always Find Our Way Back Home


            Last night’s shift at work was really slow and easy. When Nate, Rebecca, and I arrived, we had about 115 check-ins to take care of. We were also expecting three groups, two of which we could batch check-in, which made it a lot easier. Since we didn’t have as many check-ins today, housekeeping was really on top of things, and had most of the rooms ready even before four o’clock. We didn’t have any problems with any of the rooms or guests, making it a very simple, easy shift, even though it got really slow for the last few hours of the night.
            Today I work the same shift with Nate, Sofia, and Jen. When I looked at the schedule yesterday, I saw that we had a lot more check-outs than check-ins today; about 250 check-outs and 160 check-ins. Hopefully housekeeping will do as good a job as they did yesterday, and we can start getting people into clean rooms by four, if not earlier. One hundred and sixty check-ins is more than we had yesterday, but we’ve certainly taken care of more than that pretty easily, so this shouldn’t be a bad shift either. We weren’t sold out last night- I think we ended the night being at about 94 percent capacity. Today we’ll be at considerably less than that since we have so many more people leaving than arriving. The good thing about that is we’ll be able to take in walk-ins, which we haven’t been able to do in quite a while.
            Now that I’ve already told Nate, Jesse, Tanner, and Cristina this in person, I guess it’s safe to announce this to everyone else on here. Today I officially put in my two weeks notice with my manager. I love everything about this park, except for the fact that it’s not home. I love waking up to the almost unreal beauty of the mountains, seeing the neighborhood foxes running around near my back door, the beautiful smell of rain mixed with pine trees that could never be recreated by people, and the wonderful friends that I’ve come to be so close to in only a few months. But, despite all of that, deep down I’ll always be a Texas girl, and I’m ready to come home to the city and the people (and, I’ll admit, the food) that I love so much. I’m really glad that I got a change of scenery this summer- I think that it’s just what I needed- and I don’t regret one second of being here. That being said, with my notice at work put in and plane ticket already booked for September 8, I’m counting down the days until I’m back in good old Texas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment