Friday, August 1, 2014

Another Week At The Desk


This is one of the best areas in the park for pictures. The mountains reflect in the water so perfectly! 

Moose are one of my favorite animals to see here. They hang out in the Willow Flats all the time since they eat plants that grow around water. 

            Well, very little has happened since my last post, but I don’t want to break my record of daily posts. Fun fact: my last day that I didn’t make a blog post way May thirtieth, so this is my sixty-third consecutive post. I’ve really surprised myself with this blog; when I first made it I assumed that I’d be making posts once or twice a week. I definitely didn’t expect to be making posts every single day! But once I started making daily posts, I felt obligated to continue doing so, even if I don’t have very much news to share. This’ll probably be a fairly short post, but here goes.
            I just got back from having lunch in the EDR with Jesse, David, Colin, and Maggie. I also sat with Haley for a while when I first got there. She’s working the morning shift today, and told me that yesterday she was working the same shift, and ended up getting yelled at by some guests. Apparently they needed to have a roommove done because they’d had a chipmunk in their room the previous night (which honestly isn’t super unusual- we’re in a national park!). They’d originally talked to Rob, who’d said that there weren’t any rooms available to move them to yet, so they said they’d go eat breakfast and come back after that to be moved to the new room. When they came back, though, they came to Haley, who didn’t know anything about it. To make matters worse, Rob, and really the large majority of the management of the entire lodge, were doing something down at Jenny Lake, so she couldn’t bring him over to help deal with it. Basically, she told them that none of the rooms were ready, not knowing that Rob had told them that a room would be ready for them by the time they were done with breakfast. They then started yelling at her right in the middle of the lobby. Long story short, I’m glad yesterday was my day off.
            Jesse told me at lunch that he’d been working until about one in the morning last night rearranging the Mural Room and setting up some other things. The conventions department often has weird hours, though, since most of what they do has to take place before and after the busy parts of the day, instead of during those times. He’s working again right now; he was just on his lunch break when I saw him. His boss, Steve, as well as Colin and several other people in conventions were also eating with us. David came in and sat down with us not long after I arrived. He’s working the morning shift today with Cristina and Haley; I saw him in his uniform at breakfast this morning.
            I go into work at three this afternoon, along with Nate and Jen. I don’t know what our capacity is tonight or how many check-ins we’re expecting. As long as we don’t oversell, it’s okay with me. Even days that we’re at full capacity are usually okay with me, if we don’t have to worry about people with reservations coming in and us not having a room for them. I still don’t really understand how our system lets us oversell, but somehow it happens occasionally. Since it’s Friday, we probably have quite a few check-ins to take care of today, but I think Nate, Jen and I can handle it. Speaking of Nate, the pictures I’m including in this post were taken by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment