Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Beautiful Day In a Beautiful Place


            First of all, I have to say that today’s weather was just awesome! The temperature never got above about seventy degrees. It didn’t rain at all, but remained cloudy and cool for pretty much the entire day. While that stopped me from going to the pool, it definitely did NOT stop me from hanging out on my back porch and hiking up to Lunch Tree Hill to enjoy the cool weather and view of the mountains. The view up there is absolutely breathtaking. It’s hard to believe that I’m lucky enough to be able to walk from my room to that spot in only about fifteen minutes. Sometimes I go sit up there and just get lost in the beauty of Jackson Lake and the Teton Range. This is, without a doubt, the most beautiful place I’ve ever been.
            I met up with Nate, Tanner, and Cristina for lunch in the EDR at about 11:30. Cristina was working seven to three today, Tanner had the earlier shift at the activities desk, and Nate was also off. He went into town after lunch to pick up a few things. Cristina and Tanner both said that it had been a pretty easy, simple day so far at the desks. I told them about seeing one of my zoo campers yesterday, which still almost feels like a dream. It was such a crazy coincidence, and it was just so great to see Amber and her family yesterday. I’m sure I’ll see them again before they leave on Saturday.
            After lunch I decided to just walk around the lodge property for a while. I didn’t want to just go back and sit in my dorm for the afternoon, but didn’t want to take a real serious hike by myself either, so I basically circled the property, admiring the beauty of it all. There really isn’t an ugly corner, crevice, or spot in this park. I walked out to the horse corrals on the edge of the property to hang around the horses for a while, then over by the swimming pool, and through the lines of cottages before eventually coming back to the employee dorms. It wasn’t really a big thing to do, but it seemed to give the day a feeling of purpose. And being outside in the cool air felt amazing.
            Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be similar to today, but it’s impossible to reliably predict the weather in this park. If the sun comes out more tomorrow I might go hang out at the pool. I know that Tanner’s off tomorrow, and Jesse doesn’t need to go in until pretty late to help take down a few things after an event at the lodge, so I may hang out with them. Cristina is working in the morning tomorrow, so I think I’ll probably get up earlier and join her for breakfast before she goes in. Unlike last week, this coming week at work I have all afternoon shifts at the desk. I was originally scheduled for the earlier shift on Sunday, but David asked me to switch with him since he wanted Sunday evening off, so I said sure. On Jesse’s birthday a couple of weeks ago I asked David to switch since I wanted the evening off, and he agreed, so I kind of felt like I owed it to him to switch this time. I don’t mind the later shift anyway. Unlike pretty much everyone else at the desk, I actually kind of prefer the later shift. I’m thinking about asking Haley to switch with me on Saturday, though, so I’ll be working with Cristina and Nate in the morning. That’s the day that Amber and her family leave, also, and I’d kind of like to see her before they do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment