Saturday, July 26, 2014

Work, Weddings, and the Whistle Pig


            Last night’s shift actually wasn’t as crazy as I thought it would be. By some crazy miracle, pretty much everyone that was here for the wedding had been checked in by the time I got there at three. I don’t know how housekeeping did it, but I wanted to hug all of them! Because of that, there were about 170 check-ins left when I got there. I’d say overall more than normal, but we’ve definitely dealt with more in the past. I was working with David, Maggie, and Jen. Rob was also there for the beginning of the shift, but left around six. Housekeeping was actually able to get the large majority of the rooms available by the guaranteed check-in time of four o’clock, which made things much easier, especially since we had several big tour groups coming in, plus the wedding.
            The last three hours or so of the shift were pretty slow and easy. David and I were able to just talk with each other, since the lobby got pretty empty later in the evening. For being at full capacity, it was a surprisingly easy shift. I don’t know exactly how many check-ins we have again tonight, but we’re at full capacity again. Emily and Jen will both be working this evening, as well as Maggie and me. I don’t think I mentioned earlier that Maggie applied for and ended up getting the front desk supervisor job that opened up when Christopher left, so looks like it’s just me and supervisors tonight. I don’t know why they scheduled three supervisors to all be here for the same shift, but whatever. Hopefully this shift will go smoothly, like yesterday did, especially since I work the morning shift tomorrow. I’m really hoping that I can leave as close to eleven as possible so I can get as much sleep as I can before going back in to work at seven tomorrow morning.
            I actually work the morning shift again Monday and Tuesday, which is kind of nice. It seemed like for the first month or so, they only had me scheduled for the later shift. Now I’m getting a lot more early shifts in my schedule, which makes it a lot easier. It’s nice to be done by three and have the rest of the day to do what I want. I’m sure I’ll go to the pool for at least one of the next three days after work, maybe more. Being in and around the water is a really nice way to relieve any stress from work. I’ll be working with Cristina tomorrow as well, then she has the next two days off. Maybe we’ll go to the pool together sometime.
            I ended up going to the Whistle Pig last night after my shift ended for just about half an hour. I didn’t originally expect to, but Adam, who works at the activities desk, saw me at dinner and invited me to join him and some other people from that desk for a little party there. I knew I didn’t have to get up early for work this morning, so I told him I’d be there. Walking out of the lobby at a little after eleven, I saw Elliot, who was just leaving work too. He said that he was headed to the Whistle Pig as well, and we walked over there together. When we got there, I hung out with Adam, as well as Kate, who’s the activities desk supervisor, and a few other people that I knew. It was a nice way to end the night.
            I really hope that yesterday’s shift was a sign that this entire week will be fairly easy. We’re not completely full this entire week, so hopefully it will be okay. In fact, looking at the occupancy levels yesterday on the computer, it looked like the craziest days would probably be Wednesday and Thursday, which luckily are my days off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment