Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Crazy Things Guests Say


            Well, I guess my last post caught some attention- it got quite a few pageviews pretty fast. Maybe I’ll make another post like that again sometime. Now, for the news of the past two days at work!
            I went into work at three yesterday; turns out it was only me and Maggie signed up for that shift. Thankfully Jen and Emily were both working with us, so we didn’t feel too short staffed. We had a lot of check-ins, but some were tour groups that we could do batch check-ins for, so it really wasn’t so bad. We were at full capacity by the end of the night, though, so there were some parts of the shift that felt pretty crazy and stressful. Maggie and I both had to be back in at seven this morning, so we were both hoping to leave as close to eleven as possible, and thankfully we got out of there only a few minutes after. Brian had driven to work yesterday, and so when we all clocked out he gave Maggie and me a ride back to our dorms. Cristina was fast asleep by the time I got home, and in not too long, so was I.
            Cristina and I were both scheduled to work the morning shift again today, so we got up and headed to breakfast together. Emily was back as the supervisor this morning, and Maggie was there again as well. We had over two hundred check-outs to go through, but it was still a much easier shift than the night before. At one point a guest came to me and said, with complete seriousness, “we should move the wildlife crossing signs to low traffic areas, to make it safer for both the people and the animals”. It was really hard for me not to laugh and answer in a professional manner. Guests at the zoo have asked me some ridiculous questions, so this didn’t really surprise me too much. It was still pretty funny though. Earlier in the season a guest asked me, also with complete seriousness, at what elevation deer turn into elk. At first I thought they had to be joking, but nope; it was actually a legitimate question. I’ve also been asked what time we feed the bears. Crazy.
            Anyway, the shift today went pretty smoothly, and when it was over at three I came back home and took a nap, since I hadn’t gotten enough sleep last night. Then I walked over to the EDR with Cristina and Jesse, meeting Nate for dinner. I’m going to go over to the Whistle Pig soon to hang out for a while. Can’t stay out too late, though, since I work the morning shift again tomorrow. Tuesday I work the later shift, then one more morning shift on Wednesday before my weekend starts. Depending on the weather, I may go to the pool tomorrow after my shift ends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment