Friday, July 11, 2014

These Are The Days Of Gold


            Today was actually a pretty fun day at work. Not very busy, no real problems, and spent some time just laughing and joking around with Cristina and Rob, who was the supervisor on duty this morning. Also add in the fact that it’s payday, and I can’t make any real complaints.
            Cristina and I got up and headed to the EDR for breakfast at about 6:15, then on to the front desk for our shift. I’d gone to bed fairly early last night, knowing I’d have to get up early today, so thankfully I felt pretty rested, unlike mornings when I’ve worked the previous night. Those are no fun, but at least I usually only have them once a week. Anyway, when Cristina and I clocked in and got to the desk, there were about 160 check-outs expected, and almost the exact same amount of check-ins for the later shift to handle. It was just me, Cristina and Rob for most of the shift, until Jen came in at about two. Most of the guests I dealt with were really nice, it never got too busy, and it was just overall a pretty fun shift, being there with Rob and Cristina.
            Shortly after getting back from lunch I checked in a couple from San Antonio. Weirder than that, though, they told me that they live in an apartment near the Quarry, a matter of blocks from the house I grew up in. We struck up a conversation, at which point I told them that I worked at the SA zoo before coming here. The couple must’ve stayed at the front desk for a good ten minutes chatting with me about that, which was perfectly fine with me.
            At three Cristina and I walked back home to relax for a while before dinner. It started to thunder and really look like rain at about five this evening, so we decided to head back over to the EDR before the inevitable downpour began. We met up with Tanner, who was on his dinner break, and ate together, watching the rain pouring down through the EDR windows.
            When we were finished with dinner, Cristina left the EDR through the back, employee only lodge entrance, while I decided to go back through the main lobby. I hung out in there for a few minutes until the downfall slowed down some, then figured I should just go, in case it started to come down harder again. So, in my t-shirt and shorts, I had a good old-fashioned run through the rain to get back to my dorm, and it felt great! I just came in, dried off, and sat down on my bed to write.
            Today is Nate’s birthday, so I’ll head over to the Whistle Pig soon to hang for a while. He hung out with Elliot and some other guys during the day today since he had it off. He and Cristina both work the morning shift tomorrow; I work the later one. I’ll probably get up pretty early, though, to join them for breakfast before they go in to work. We’ll also find a time when we can all get together and probably grill again for Nate’s birthday. Tanner works until nine tonight and Jesse went into town for dinner with Kelsey since she has to leave tomorrow, so we figured we should do it on a night when everyone we know can join in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment