Monday, July 14, 2014

Routines, Relaxing, and Rain


            So this’ll probably be a short update because there’s not a lot of news that I have to share since the last post. I worked the earlier shift again today at the desk, which was pretty easy. For the first portion of the shift it was just me and Haley up at the desk, with Emily as our supervisor. We had about 160 check-outs when we arrived, which sounded much better than the 230 that we had yesterday. It had some busy parts to the shift, but thankfully there weren’t any problems to deal with throughout. Maggie also arrived at eleven in the morning to help us out. A lot of the shift was just Haley, Emily and I talking with each other, as well as talking to Zach and Ken, the bellmen that were on duty.
            When I got off at three I came back to the room to change and relax. Cristina, who had today off, was in there on her laptop. She’d been looking forward to a lazy day today after working this past week. I go into work again at three tomorrow. Sleeping late definitely sounds nice.
            A little after five this evening Jesse knocked on our back door asking if we wanted to join him for dinner. Cristina was going to wait for Tanner to get ready, and go with him, but I walked over to the EDR with Jesse and sat and talked with him. Nate walked in while we were in there as well, and he also sat with us. He’s working the later shift today, and said it’s been really slow. There were about 160 check-ins at the beginning of the day, but my shift actually was able to take care of some of those before Nate even got there, so by three that number was down to about 120.
            It’s been looking pretty dark since early afternoon and it rained for a while a few hours ago. We had some guests checking in saying it’d been pouring in Yellowstone and in some places in Grand Teton as well. Thunderstorms in this park are absolutely amazing; I love them. The dark clouds over the mountains make for a spectacular sight. It also seems that the rain here has a very unique and strong smell to it. I notice it most on my back porch, where I’m sitting now writing this. The moisture seems to enhance the smell of the pine trees all around, and that blends with the natural smell of the rain itself. The combination is really unlike anything I’ve ever smelled before. I doubt it could be artificially replicated.
            Wish I had some more exciting news to share, but nothing too exciting has happened since my last post, so this’ll have to do for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment