Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Customer Service, Coincidences, and Campers


            Well, it’s dark, cloudy, and a little rainy here in Grand Teton National Park this afternoon, but I’m feeling absolutely amazing! Today at work was one of the best days I’ve had at the desk so far. At first it was just me and Haley at the desk, with Rob as the supervisor. After being there for about a little over an hour, a young couple that was staying here for their honeymoon stopped by the desk. They said that they’d forgotten to pack the charger for their camera, and were wondering if we by any chance had that type of charger in lost and found or somewhere at the desk that they could borrow. We didn’t, but when the man pulled out the camera I noticed that it was the exact same type of camera that I have. I called Rob over and asked him if I could run back over to my dorm and grab my own camera’s charger to let them borrow. It wasn’t very busy at the desk yet, so he said that was fine. I quickly went back out to my dorm room, got my own charger out of my camera bag, and brought it back to the lobby where the couple was waiting. I plugged the charger in behind the desk, put their camera’s battery into it, and they said they’d stop by and pick it up later. Shortly after they left, Rob gave me an employee raffle ticket, which is given out as a reward for great customer service. I just did it since I thought it would suck to have a nice, expensive camera like that but not be able to use it, especially for a really special event like a honeymoon.
            Tanner’s working at the desk from eleven to nine today, so he and I planned to both go to lunch at noon. Cristina, Nate, and Jesse all have the day off today, so they all went up into Yellowstone to hang out for the day. Getting the same lunch break as Tanner was still really nice though. Hanging with him is definitely a bright spot in pretty much any day.
            The second portion of the shift went really easily. I tried to keep busy instead of constantly looking at the clock, counting down the minutes until my weekend started. When there was only about half an hour until my shift was over, another couple came to me to check in that looked very familiar. They immediately agreed that I looked familiar as well, and we quickly realized, to our amazement, that they’re the parents of one of my favorite and most loyal zoo campers! I’ve known their wonderful daughter since she was five years, and she’s now thirteen. One of the things that made me really sad about missing zoo camp was that I wouldn’t see Amber this summer, but I was wrong! After I checked in and talked with her parents for a while, they said that they were going to go park then go to the Pioneer Grill with the kids. A few minutes later a very excited (and considerably taller than last time I saw her) Amber ran into the lobby. When she saw me, her face seemed to just light up. I immediately came out from behind the desk and gave her a big hug. I couldn’t believe how tall she’d gotten! At age thirteen, she’s almost old enough to start volunteering at the zoo herself, which she said she’s going to do next summer. We talked for a while, and I told her that I have the next two days off, but will be back at the desk Friday and Saturday, which is the day they’re scheduled to leave. It really blew my mind that, of all places, Amber and her family would come here to vacation, and we would run into each other like that. It really was one of the best crazy coincidences of my life. Zoo camp was a part of my life for a long time, and there were some campers that I really got to know and will always be special to me. And Amber is one of them.
            Not long after seeing Amber, my shift ended and weekend began! I came back here to my room and sat down on my bed to write this. I don’t have any real plans for this weekend; it’ll depend on the weather. Rain or shine, though, it’ll be a really awesome few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment