Friday, July 25, 2014

Here Comes The Sun



This is the view I got from the back patio of the lodge this morning

            Well, it’s my Monday again, and I think it’s expected to be a pretty busy week here at Jackson Lake Lodge. Talking to Nate and Cristina at lunch today, they said that we were at full occupancy last night, and are expected to be at that again tonight. I think (and am hoping) that there are some tour groups coming in today that we can do batch check-ins for to make it easier. There’s also a wedding going on in the lodge this afternoon, and a lot of the guests for that are checking in today (kind of sounds like poor planning to me since the wedding is scheduled to start at 3:30). They’ll all want their rooms ready much earlier than our guaranteed check-in time of four so they can get ready for the wedding, and I honestly don’t see that happening, especially since we’re at one hundred percent occupancy.
            I got up this morning early enough to go have breakfast with Nate and Cristina before they went into work. We sat with a few other people that we knew, and talked about recent hikes that we’d gone on and some cool stuff we’d seen. One of the housekeeping supervisors we know said that he’d seen some wolves not long ago, which is one of the only native animals that I haven’t seen. I’ve heard that they’re more common in Yellowstone than here, particularly one area that’s supposed to be the best spot for seeing pretty much any kind of native wildlife. Yellowstone is so big, which makes it nearly impossible to completely take in in just one day. But I’m definitely trying to find a way to make it work as soon as I can.
            After breakfast this morning I decided to go out onto the lodge’s back patio and just enjoy the spectacular view of the Teton Range for a while. I definitely feel really lucky that this summer I’ve been able to look out at those mountains pretty much every day, but it really doesn’t get old. Every time I see them, I’m just in awe of how beautiful this place is. The pictures I took can’t come close to doing them justice, but they’re better than nothing, so I’ll include them here. The lighting in the mornings from that spot is beautiful too; how the sun’s rays start on the mountains themselves, then hit Jackson Lake, then slowly stretch across the Willow Flats, eventually flooding the lodge itself with natural light.
            I’m honestly still not even sure what the rest of my week’s schedule looks like. I’m sure I work the later shift again tomorrow, like I do most Saturdays, but I haven’t looked at the schedule to know for sure yet. I’ll check it out when I get to work this afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment