Monday, July 21, 2014

Cold Day (Or Night) In July


            I just got back from having lunch at the EDR. I ended up eating with Rebecca, the new desk agent that was hired about a week ago. Really all I know about her so far is that she’s from Mississippi and graduated college about four years ago. She seems to be doing fine so far at the desk, thankfully. I feel kind of bad for the people that come in after the season’s already started, because they don’t get near as much training as those of us that came before the lodge opened. David learned pretty fast, though, and it seems like Rebecca is too.
            Cristina is off today and tomorrow. I slept kind of late this morning, and she was gone by the time I got up. I’m not sure what she’s doing with her weekend; haven’t seen her all day. Her car is still here in the employee lot, so she’s probably at the pool. I know there’s another softball game tonight that I’m sure she’ll go to. Tanner’s working 6:30 to 4:30; I saw him at the activities desk when I walked through the lobby after lunch. I’m working the later shift today with Nate and James, with Jen as our supervisor. It seems like I’ve been working a lot of morning shifts recently, and it seems like Jen only works the later shift, so I haven’t worked with her in a while. I work another morning shift tomorrow, then back to my weekend. This week has felt much easier than last week since it’s been shorter and just overall felt less busy.
            It’s an absolutely beautiful day here in the park. The temperature is in the mid seventies, with an almost constant cool breeze. Right now it’s bright and sunny, but there’s a chance of rain later today. The weather here is really hard to predict though; it’s almost as bipolar as Texas. One thing I was told before coming here that I honestly didn’t fully understand until actually experiencing was how much the temperature drops at night. Even if it gets into the eighties during the afternoon here, the temperature still drops into the forties almost every night! When I have the morning shift, I still usually wear a jacket when walking to work, and when I have the later shift I wear a jacket when walking back home when I’m done. One big contrast between this place and Texas is the huge lack of humidity here. Even on the warmest days, the air is very dry, which is why it still gets cold when the sun goes down. It’s absolutely amazing to me that the temperature can drop more than thirty degrees in only about an hour. I mentioned in a previous post that there’s no air conditioning here, but by leaving window open, our room pretty much always stays nice and cool, especially at night! I honestly can’t remember the last time we closed the window; it’s way more pleasant here with it open.
            Well, it’s great to know that my weekend is approaching again. I’m not sure what I’ll do with it; maybe go hiking or something like that. I’ll ask around to see if other people have plans and maybe join them. I know Tanner has the same weekend, and Nate will be off on Wednesday as well. I think Jesse might also have either Wednesday or Thursday off this week. His days off aren’t always the same; his schedule changes depending on any events that might be going on in or around the lodge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment