Thursday, July 10, 2014

I'm A Long Way From Home


            So far it’s been a fairly uneventful day off. Unlike yesterday, it rained early this morning and looks like it might do so again before the day’s over. I slept pretty late this morning- I think that six mile hike yesterday kind of wore me out. Cristina’s working the earlier shift today, so she was gone by the time I woke up. I hung out with Tanner around the dorm for a while after we were both up, then headed over to the EDR to meet Cristina for lunch. Right when we got there, we saw that Nate had just arrived as well, so the four of us ate together. Nate said that he’d been out camping with friends the night before, which had been fun, even though it had rained a little. He goes in to work at three today, then has tomorrow off, which is his birthday. I switched with Haley so Cristina and I now both have the morning shift tomorrow, so we’ll be done around three and will be able to hang with Nate later in the day.
            I felt like I had enough to talk about in yesterday’s blog post so I didn’t mention this, but yesterday made exactly two months since I left my lifelong home of San Antonio to begin this crazy adventure. It was exciting, but also a little sad and scary to leave the people I love and city I know so well to go to a place totally new to me, filled with people that I’d never met. Every day that passes here sets a new personal record for the longest that I’ve been away from San Antonio, and my friends and family that are in it. I know that record will continue to build quite a bit before I leave, which is both good and bad. It’s good because I’ve quickly grown to love this park, all the adventures it has to offer, and especially the people I’ve met while living and working here. Cristina, Tanner, Nate, Jesse, Elliot, and the other friends I’ve made have become a sort of family for me here, and the thought of saying goodbye to all of them really sucks. On the other hand, though, there are things about San Antonio that I miss terribly- the familiarity, the zoo, obviously the Mexican food, among other things. More than anything, I miss my family and friends that are back home, who I’ve never had to be away from for so long. Travelling to other places, especially over an extended period of time, can teach you things that few other experiences can. One of those things it teaches is to love and appreciate your home that much more. I’ve heard that you don’t really know what you have until it’s gone, and even though I know that this is temporary, that phrase has never been more accurate in my life than right now.
Don’t worry, people, I’m still having an amazing time here. Every single day is an adventure and every experience creates wonderful, lifelong memories. But, despite all of that, I definitely still miss the place that I’ll always call home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment