Thursday, July 3, 2014

If My Friends Jumped Off A Cliff...


Me, Tanner and Cristina at The Virginian last night. So much fun! 

            Today proved that I would too! But first, let’s go to the adventures of yesterday. After posting yesterday’s blog update, I headed out to the lodge’s pool with Tanner and Jesse. We met Cristina, Maggie, and some of our other friends there. On the warm sunny day, it felt really great to be in the water. Yesterday was one of the warmest days we’ve had here so far (I’m not complaining about it though, since I know my friends in SA would kill me if I complained about an 80 degree day in July). After enjoying the water for a while, we sat by the pool and relaxed in the sun before going back to the dorms to get ready to go into town. We left the lodge at about six in the evening; Tanner and I rode with Cristina, and our friend Colin drove, with Maggie and Alyson riding with him. Nate and Brian met us in town at a small Mexican restaurant for dinner that Brian had picked out. It couldn’t hold a candle to the Mexican food I can get in San Antonio, but it was still better than the EDR. After dinner, since we had some time before karaoke started, we all walked over to Albertson’s, which was right across the street, and picked up a few things to have back at the dorms. By the time we were done with that it was almost nine, so we headed over to The Virginian Saloon, arriving just as the karaoke music was getting started. Throughout the night, everyone in our group took the microphone for at least a couple of songs. We stayed at The Virginian until after midnight, singing and having fun with friends. It was a great way to spend my “Saturday” night.
            I slept fairly late this morning after being out so late last night. I was actually woken up by Tanner knocking on my door saying that he was going to meet Brian, Maggie, and Alyson over at Gros Ventre Junction, on the way to Jackson, where they had camped last night. They were going to hang out and do some cliff jumping in the area, and he asked if I wanted to get a ride with him and join them, which I of course said yes to. I put on my swimsuit under some hiking shorts and a t-shirt, grabbed my hiking backpack and water bottle, and we left the lodge at a little after eleven. Though I’d heard there was a chance of rain later in the day, it was sunny and warm as we headed out.
            After about half an hour of driving we met Brian, Maggie and Alyson at the edge of the Gros Ventre campground where they’d stayed, and from there we drove for about fifteen more minutes, following Brian. The road got pretty small and twisty as we continued down it, and it eventually lead us to the border of Grand Teton National Park, where it connects with Teton-Bridger National Forest. Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks are surrounded by a total of five national forests, all of which together makes up the largest intact temperate ecosystem on the planet (part of the reason that Wyoming is the least populous state in the US).
            Almost exactly at the border of the park, we turned and parked just off the main road, near the Gros Ventre River, which we’d be jumping into. Phelps Lake is probably the most popular spot for cliff jumping in the area, and Tanner and I agreed that we’d go there sometime too, but part of what made the Gros Ventre area so nice is that not too many people seemed to know about it.
            We all got out of the cars and took the short hike from the parking area to the spot where a part of the rock we were on jutted out a bit farther than most. Below the rock was about a thirty-five foot drop into one of the deepest parts of the river. We put our bags down near the rock and spent some time just relaxing, joking around with each other, and just enjoying the absolutely beautiful view that was all around us. It was truly spectacular.
            After doing some exploring around the area and hanging out by the edge of the rocks for about half an hour, Brian agreed to be the first of us to make the jump. This is his third season out here, so he’d done this multiple times in the past. He got a running start, then jumped off the rock and out into the air. We watched as he flipped in the air and landed pretty awkwardly in the water. He disappeared for a few seconds, then popped up a ways down the river. The current was pretty strong, but the water didn’t stay deep for too far beyond the jumping point, making it easier to get back out. Seeing as how Brian didn’t die, I said I’d go next. I decided to leave my shoes on since I’d have to hike back up to the top after jumping. After taking a deep breath, I ran off the rock and out, then fell the thirty-five feet into the icy cold, fast moving water. It felt like I was falling for a long time before I hit the water, and the feeling came with a huge adrenaline rush. I also hadn’t quite expected the water to be as cold as it was; I was only in it for about a minute, but that was enough for my hands to go numb.
            Everyone ended up jumping one time, then we relaxed and dried off on the rocks again before heading to Dornan’s for a late lunch. Tanner ended up turning in the air and landed flat on his back on the water, and came back up with his back really red. Alyson went last, and needed some reassurance from everyone else before finally working up the courage to take the jump.
            Colin invited me, Tanner and Cristina to go camping with him and a few other people tonight. Cristina and I don’t have to be at work until three tomorrow, and Tanner’s off again, so we said we’d go. We’re borrowing Maggie’s tent and heading out pretty soon. At first I was hesitant to go, but I figured I might regret it if I didn’t. It should be a good night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment