Monday, July 28, 2014

Safety Meetings and Such


            Well, there’s not a whole lot of news to report. Today’s shift seemed rather long, but, like others this week, it really wasn’t hard. I was working with Rebecca and Nate, with Emily as the supervisor. Maggie also came in around eleven. I didn’t mention this is my last post, but yesterday Emily told me that there’s a safety meeting planned for lunch today, and the company wants every department to have a safety representative to go to it. She asked me if I would be interested in being that representative for the front desk, so of course I said sure. Today I left the desk a little before noon and headed upstairs to one of the lodge’s conference rooms to join staff from other departments within the company for the meeting. A woman named Carla, from human resources, was in charge for most of the meeting, with Alex Klein joining in as well. Everyone in the room spoke for a minute or two about their department, and any safety issues and procedures they have. Seeing as how the front desk obviously isn’t a really hazardous department, I said that the main thing we deal with in that regard is that if there are any safety issues that happen involving a guest, we’re often the first to know about it. I mentioned a situation that happened a couple of weeks ago where a guest called the front desk because his son was so sick that he couldn’t get out of bed to go to the clinic. We ended up having to call an ambulance because it got to the point where he was having trouble breathing.
            The meeting was probably the highlight of the workday today, to be honest. Normally we get a thirty-minute meal break that we clock out for. Emily told me to stay clocked in for the meeting today, the lunch provided was better than the EDR usually is, and it took close to an hour and a half. Overall it was a pretty easy, nice midday break. There will be another meeting on August 18, then another in early September that I’ll be going to as well; I think it’s pretty cool that Emily asked me to be the front desk “safety representative”.
            The rest of the day went pretty easily. It was almost 1:30 by the time I got back to the desk after the meeting, so the rest of the shift went by fairly smoothly, but the time seem to kind of drag. By the time I got out at a little after three, it looked like it might rain, and I was feeling pretty tired, so instead of going to the pool I just came back to my room and relaxed until dinner time. Cristina was off today, and she had gone to town to get a few things.
            I just got back from having dinner at the EDR. I met Jesse and Nate in there at first, and Cristina and Tanner came in a little after I did. Tomorrow I work the easier morning shift again, then I have the next two days to spend as I please in this awesome place! 

No comments:

Post a Comment